Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sponsorship Is More Than Money. It's Love.

Written by team member, Shannon Collins:

Awhile back Lincoln, Ordinary Hero's field director, shared a story with me about a girl named Etenesh. The story took my breath away. It was harder to hear than any story I have ever heard. I spent days thinking about his words and this girl across the ocean. She needed a sponsor and I knew our family would help. Mark and I talked about her and decided that we would commit to sponsoring Etenesh. We have six children and already sponsor a family in Korah, but we just could not let this girl go.

In June, I traveled to Ethiopia with Ordinary Hero and met Etenesh for the first time. My children, Macall, Brynn and Hudson, all got the chance to meet her too. We spent special time with her. We were able to spend time with her amazing foster family. They have poured love into her and helped her heal. At first Etenesh was timid, but she soon opened up and danced with my girls as they sang Taylor Swift songs in the backseat of the car. Before long, she was sticking her tongue out for pictures and having so much fun.




She would reach for our hand as the trust merged between us. She went to church with us. Etenesh had been hurt and spent many months recovering from surgeries and this was the first time to church in a long time.  

We spent an evening in her apartment being prayed over by a friend. It was a holy night and one that we will never forget. All of these experiences connected us. Saying good-bye to Etenesh that last day was difficult. She holds a piece of my heart. We know God has amazing plans for her life as He promises in Jeremiah 29:11. We will walk each step with her!


I urge others to sponsor a child or family. It is an amazing opportunity to open your heart, give hope to someone and be stretched in an incredible way. If you would like to sponsor a child through Ordinary Hero, you can email kblevins@ordinaryhero.org to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment