Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Day At The Shelter...Getting Ready For Halloween

We are preparing for our Halloween Outreach on Sat. Oct 30th. It is always so great to see the faces of the little ones light up when I go down to the shelter to ask them what they would like to dress up as for Halloween.
A few of us went down and met the kids and moms and had the pleasure of telling them that next week they get to dress up and go to a festival and have LOTS of fun :) Don't you remember how much fun Halloween was as a kid? For this to be a day that is typically known for Ghosts and Ghouls, it has turned into one of our best ways to reach the moms and kids who reside at the homeless shelter and show them the love of God in a practical way.
I always grab a friend or two and take a day and go down to meet with the kids and find out what they would like to dress up as. It gives them something to look forward to.
It is always humbling to meet these moms and kids and hear a little about their lives. It is a great opportunity for our volunteers at the festival to make new friends and offer hope by showing that they care. It is always good to have our kids eyes opened to the need that is right in front of us. And then it is always all the more humbling to meet up with the kids who know me from last year's Halloween outreach and I realize they are back again.

I can't wait to show up next Saturday with all the costumes in tow for these children and then take them to the festival. You should see them when I do. It's like Christmas :) I met with 26 children yesterday and there will be more to come in before the event. Many thanks to those who have volunteered for this event. It will be life changing for lots of kids.

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I love reading your blog and how you are being used by God to love others. Wish there was something like this near us that I could help with. I keep telling my husband we need to move to TN, but he is not thinking so. Thanks for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I am right with you! I would love any info out to get something started here in Michigan! So much more can be done, I just dont know where to start!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy...just won one of your shirts through AMy's blog and I am excited to wear it and spread the message! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome! How can we get involved to help with things like this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, we are getting ready to do a "bow/barrette making night" at my house for the little girls in our lives, and I would love to have my friends make some additional ones to donate to some little girls who may not get pretty hair things too frequently. Would you be able to give these out at the shelter, perhaps at Christmastime? Would love to send them to you, if so! :)
    Christy
    www.davisfamilymoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete