Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Some Great Ideas From Some of You


I just have to take a minute to say that I have some amazing readers with some really big hearts.....and some great ideas. I love hearing from you and I just LOVE that you all are getting inspired to reach out and help others in need. I have to say a quick THANK YOU to those of you who so quickly step up to help in all of our projects. We can all bless this world and those that need us in it by working together.

I wanted to share some emails I have gotten with some great ideas in it. These emails show just how easy it is to bless others and also inspire us to do the same. I am also looking forward to getting some pics from some of you who are stepping out to help. Can't wait to throw them on this blog.

Kelly,
I have been following your blog for several months and have been so
encouraged by all that this organization is doing. Thank you for
allowing your blog readers to see God working and the things He has
done through Ordinary Heroes.

I am emailing you to see if you have any ideas of a service project
that would benefit Ordinary Heroes and the people you all minister to.
In the next couple of weeks, my daughter wants to host a few of her
fellow 2nd grade classmates at our house for a pizza party. While they
are here, I want to have them collaborate on a service project that
could build their vision for the world outside their bubble. I am
starting to realize how much this age group really enjoys projects
that involve sorting, assembling, decorating, etc. and that I need to
capitalize on this!

We would love to something that helps any of the people that you all
are presently helping.... the girls at the TBCH, the moms and children
at the homeless shelter or even the troops serving our country
oversees. I don't know what the needs around the Christmas holiday
will be but we could definitely do something for this holiday.


I look forward to meeting you in person someday. Until then, I will
pray for you and those that help you with this ministry.

Sincerely,
K


(my response with some ideas for you)

" As far as the kids and moms at the shelter, your kids could make them something. Maybe have them write the moms a note and then they could make sock puppets for the kids to have around the holidays. Kids always get a kick out of those and I have never seen them around the shelter.

As far as the TBCH teen girls, they really loved making those bags for the homeless kids and they loved having their pictures to keep. One thing I know they would love, being teens and all, would be to have your girls decorate a photo frame for each girl. I think the key in whatever they decided to do is to include a picture of each girl holding her finished product. That way the person receiving it will have a better connection with who gave it. I know my TBCH girls would love to see who made it for them. They would love the photo frames as well. I saw those at the dollar store.

As far as the troops, one thing he mentioned was Christmas decorations. Your girls could make them all kinds of decorations to put around their offices to make them feel like home around the holidays. They could cut out snowflakes and even long rings of snowflake streamer type things and decorate christmas balls and even put in the box a mini Christmas tree that they could then decorate."

(more great ideas from some of you)
"Several weeks ago, our church did a cleanup project down at tent city. I had bought some apples ,oranges and cookies the day before and got my girls and a one of their friends to help me with a project. We put one of each in a brown bag and I had them write the verse..." Taste and See that the Lord is good. " on the bag. The enthusiasm these girls had over this project was amazing. They loved their "jobs" and wanted to keep going even when we had run out of everything. I thought that night that I really need to keep this going on a regular basis and search for ideas of ways to get them involved because they LOVED it ,and it builds vision. SO, you may be hearing from me again in the New year for another idea!!"

"I am hoping that my husband’s family can work on this together next week when we are together for Thanksgiving. "

"I am a Kindergarten teacher and would love to collect a package of goodies to send to the troops. I made a list of items from your blog but if you have any other ideas, please let me know. The families in my class this year are very thoughtful and generous so I can't wait to get this going. I am collecting items the week after Thanksgiving, making baked goods with the kids in my class on Thursday and hopefully having it ready to send on Friday, Nov 4 in hopes they get it before Christmas."

"We are in a small group together at church, and I was thinking that our group could provide a package to one of the soldiers. Or if not as a group, my family would be honored to. Please let me know how we can help.
On another note, my husband and I are prayerfully moving forward and looking into adoption - most likely domestic:)
Thanks for all you do, please let me know any way I can help Ordinary Hero - I love the blog."


"Thank you so much for the information. I am happy to write that we are now sponsoring Hawa. I hope that this helps, and gives her some peace to know that someone else out there cares for her.... I will pray for her well being and safety. If you have any additional information about her, we would love to know how she is doing.

Thank you so much this site and all you are doing. My husband and I will begin the adoption process again early next year. We have 3 children now, 2 homegrown and 1 angel baby from Vietnam. We have decided on Ethiopia and are very happy. I will be sure to pass this site around with the hopes that all these children will be sponsored.."


Keep the ideas coming.....Love all of the Ordinary Heroes in this world :0)



1 comment:

  1. kelly- what do you think about hosting a mom and kids from the shelter for thanksgiving? could this be a possibility or is it better to serve another way?

    ReplyDelete