Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankfulness! An Ordinary Hero Spotlight

Our mission at Ordinary Hero is to inspire and empower ordinary people to make an extraordinary difference in the life of a child in need. We LOVE hearing stories from YOU, Ordinary Heroes, who have been inspired by what you've heard or read through OH. We wanted to share this story with you from Sara Williams in Florida. She emailed us about a month ago and asked what first aid supplies were needed in Korah, Ethiopia, the trash dump community our teams visit and serve in. After a quick email to Project 61 who has a working clinic there, we sent her a list and she ran with it! Here are her words:


My name is Sara Williams and I am blessed to be married to the most wonderfully strong, Christian man that one could only dream about. I have my dream job working at the Children's Dream Fund- a non-profit wish granting organization that provides dreams to seriously ill children in Florida. I have always had a heart for orphans and plan on adopting one day.
Sara and her husband Matt.
About a year ago, my rare, life-long skin disease was finally diagnosed and we were told that we may not be able to have healthy children. We love kids and want to provide a safe, loving, Christ-centered home for children. Even though I have a heart for foster children and orphans in the United States, my heart beats stronger for orphans in third world countries who don't have even the most basic necessities of life. Earlier this year, God drew my heart to Ethiopia as I desperately wanted to go on one of the mission trips through Ordinary Hero. Sadly, it wasn't God's timing for me this year and my heart was broken. I became so burdened for Ethiopia and began praying for God to use me in any way that He could. 

A few months later, I began feeling an overwhelming sense of thankfulness. At that time, my husband and I had been married for about a year, we had just bought our first home, we both had wonderful jobs that we loved and we had been blessed to be able to give more away that year than ever before. God continued to provide for our needs above and beyond what we could have ever asked, dreamed or imagined. Then one day God gave me the idea of having a ThanksGIVING party where women could come together for fellowship and praise God for what they were thankful for. Then, I thought I could tie in some sort of giving feature to the party. I still wasn't sure if this was what God wanted me to do since we had a lot going on at the time.

One morning I was walking on the treadmill and Joyce Meyer came on the TV. She was talking about being thankful and brought up the point that after many victories in the Old Testament, God would call the people to have a party in thanks of Him. She even specifically mentioned the book of Esther where God called the people to have a feast and give gifts to the poor. Esther 9:20-22. I knew then that God was calling me to have this party.

The party turned out great and we were able to collect a lot of much needed first aid items for the children in Korah, thanks to all my wonderful friends and family. I can't wait to see the smiles on those precious faces when the OH December team gives them these items so many of us take for granted. I look forward to one day visiting Ethiopia with Ordinary Hero and possibly adopting a precious child from Ethiopia. Thanks be to God for His unfailing love!

Here are some more of her photos from the event. Thank you Sara for stepping up and making a difference for MANY children in need in Ethiopia!


We at Ordinary Hero want to wish all of you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. We are so thankful for each and every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment