Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Miracle of Love.....an Adoption Story


I just had a blogger inquire about the outcome of three children I have been helping in a foster type situation. These children were featured on a Fox 17 News broadcast this past year. I thought I would take this opportunity to tell this miraculous story.

There is so much to this story that I don't have time or room for on this blog post but I will do my best to sum it up in a few words in order for you to see the miracle work that God stepped in and did for three beautiful children I met at a homeless shelter.

At the end of 2006 I met a young girl living in the homeless shelter. She had two small children and was pregnant with the third. My heart went out to her and I rallied everyone I knew to come together to help get her out of the shelter and into a place of her own.....which we did. I helped her get a couple of jobs and childcare and things seemed to be looking good for her. The father of the children was in prison therefore this young girl was completely on her own with no help from family or anyone.
I thought this was a divine appointment to help this mom and her children get back on their feet. After about a year things started going down hill for this young mom once more. An old boyfriend popped up in the picture and this mom became pregnant again. Once she had this baby she could not find childcare, therefore lost her job and her apartment and was back to square one. She was looking at having to go back to the homeless shelter, except this time with 4 children. She and I had a relationship at this point and we were friends. I stepped up to try to help her with her children so that they would not have to live in a shelter and so that she could go look for work to try to get back on her feet. Three families stepped up to help with the children for what was only supposed to be a month or so and then return to their mother with things hopefully in order and looking better. Well, months went by and the mother still could not support herself, much less 4 children. The father and grandmother to the youngest child ended up stepping up to help with that baby. But the other three children, ages 4, 3, and 2, were still with the families that had stepped up to help. It came to a point that we had to sit down with the birth mom and dad and discuss the future of their children. The children were getting more and more settled with their new lives and needed stability of knowing where "home" was. The birth mom and dad were still in no position to take the children to raise so everyone agreed on adoption as the best solution. All of the families that had been caring for these children ended up adopting them except for the little girl that was in my home. We had just completed our Ethiopian adoption and have 5 biological children as well. We just did not feel the peace about adopting her, although we loved her tremendously. It turned out to completely be the Lord's work as He laid a couple on my heart who had never been able to have children and had two failed adoptions. I presented the situation to them and they immediately stepped up to the call and met the birth mom and dad for their final approval. It could not have been a more perfect situation for this little girl to get all the undivided attention that she so desperately needed. I cannot say enough about these families that now have these sweet children added to their home and family. They were all handpicked by God and He just used me as the vessel to get them settled, which I am so honored and grateful for.

People sometimes feel sad that the children could not have all stayed together. I will tell you that no one set out for adoption with this situation. It just turned into that. These children are thriving with the family settings they are in and the attention that is pouring into them because of it. God knew exactly what these children needed and set it up just as He did in order for it to happen. I had no idea when I met this family over 3 years ago that everyone's lives would change as they have. All three families have a great relationship with the birth mom and dad and with each other. The siblings see each other quite often. The birth mom and dad are not together but they have jobs now and are striving to get back on their feet. The way it turned out for these children is that instead of having two parents that struggle and cannot provide for their needs, they have their needs met now and they have many, many people in their lives who love them dearly and consider them family....including their Aunt Kelly :)

I hosted them all to my house over the holidays for them to have a big Christmas together with all the families. It was just so amazing to watch the love pour out from everyone to these children. I am still amazed at all of it. I am thankful for everyone who stepped up to help this family and I am thankful for the birthmom and birthdad, who made their sacrifice of love to do everything in their power to make sure that their children will have all their needs met and all their dreams come true.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE STORY ON FOX NEWS.

God bless

6 comments:

  1. Is Sierra Leone open for adoption? Or open just for sponsorship? Thanks! ~DIANA

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this one Kelly! LOVE THIS STORY!
    Would you email me sometime? I'd like to talk to you about your next trip to ET if you have one planned. I have an urge in my spirit to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So grateful to read this update. Only God!
    Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome story Kelly! I really enjoy following your blog after Tina Schmidt pointed me in your direction. We are so very excited as we continue to pray for the food from Kids Against Hunger Omaha here going to The Covering! You and other families are such an inspiration! God bless your 2010! ~Kelly Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story. Thank you so much for being their vessel and for sharing the story with the rest of us. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psalm 68:5-6a (NIV)
    "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families."

    Praising God that he placed these little ones in families and that they will no longer be lonely! Continue in strength as He uses you as His holy dwelling...may we all be inspired to act to change the life of a child in need!

    ReplyDelete